Assalam’mualaikum Wr. Wb.
discussion of the material and subject matter of the English language on Friday March 10, 2017
C. Word parts: uni Example: universal
1. Find five word with uni in the puzlle and circle them. Check their meanings.
1. Universal = mendunia
2. Uniform = seragam
3. University = universitas
4. Universe = alam semesta
5. Unified = dipersatukan
2. Complete the sentences below with the words from the puzzle.
1. Rita is university student.
2. The desire for love is universal.
3. The universe began about 14 billion years ago.
4. East and west Germany were unified in 1990.
5. At many schools, students must wear a uniform.
3. Work with a partner. What do you think uni means? Circle the correct answer.
ANSWER : C. Single or one
1. Reading skills
A. Pre-reading questions.
1. In what ways will robots make our lives better in the future? In what ways will they mske our lives worse?
2. What kinds of robots woulds you like to see?
read the text. Highlight an interesting idea in each paragraph.
A New Member of the family
Bill Gates, who made his career in personal computers, believes that the age of home robots has arrived. He compares home robots today with personal computers 30 years ago. At that time, there were large computers in companies and universities, but there were few computers in the home. Gates suggests that soon robots will be adopted in the home in the same way that personal computers have been. This trend will allow us to live richer lives as robots take over boring housework duties.
There are several reasons why the age of home robots is now possible. First, robots need a brain-a computer. Computing power is now cheap and powerful enough to serve as this brain. Babies brains develope rapidly. Second, cameras, GPS, and voice recognition software enable robots to react to the world around them. The cost of these systems has fallen rapidly, but their power has increased. Finally, in the same way that Microsoft developed an operating system that could work on different kinds of computers, engineers are now beggining to write computer code for a potential common robot operating system.
Some poeple may oppose the idea of robots in every home, but most of us will happily welcome them in our lives. There are many reasons that robots will make our lives better. First, they will provide aid with housework. We will have robots that clean the floor while we are out. As well as cleaning our homes, robots will prepare and serve our meals and wash and iron our clothes. Others will cut the grass in our garden. Think of all the effort they will save us! We will have time to do the things we love. Second, we can have robot companions and pets. When we are elderly. They will remind us to take our medicine and report to emergency services if there is a problem. They will protect us from dangerous people who may try to force their way into our homes. If we are alone, they will keep us company and entertain us. We will come to love them us much us our pets today. But unlike live companions and pets, they will not die. Home robots may not look like the robots in science fiction movies, and we might not even think of them as robots. But without doubt, they will free us from useless household duties and prevent us from being lonely.
C. Identifying topic and main idea
Read thr questions below and circle the correct answer according to the text.
1. Which of the following best describes the topic of the text?
ANSWER : D. Computers in our lives
2. Which af the following best describes the main idea of the text ?
ANSWER : A. Robots will improve our lives in many ways.
E. Identifying opinions
Which one of the following three opinions would the outthor probably disagree with?
ANSWER : B. It is clear that we live happier and healtheir lives because of modern technology.
Going beyond the text
Look at the list of jobs below. Which are you happy for robots to do in the future? Why or why not ?
1. Singer : can keep me entertained.
2. Police officer : I think robots can be police officer because the robots can save the word from criminal.
3. Airline pilot : I think robots can be Airline pilot in the future because the robots not feel tired when long fly.
4. Cook : : I think robots can’t be cook in the future because the robots can’t feel a sensation of food.
5. Doctor : I think robots can’t be Doctor in the future because the robots with the high technology robots can disiase.
6. Taxi driver : I think robots can be can’t be Taxi driver in the future because the robots sleepy in a driver car.
7. Store clerk : I think robots can be can’t be Store clerk in the future because the robots slow move serve custumer
8. Teacher : I think robots can be can’t be Teacher in the future because a poeple more smart than robots
Wassalam’mualaikum Wr. Wb.
That is all and thank you.
may be useful.
may be useful.